Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Text of Don Cherry's speech

Well actually I’m wearing pinko for all the pinkos out there that ride bicycles and everything, I thought I’d get it in.
What’d you expect? Ron MacLean to come here?
I am befuddled, because I thought I was just doing a good thing coming down with Rob, and I was going to do this here and it was going to be nice and the whole deal.
I’m being ripped to shreds by the left-wing pinko newspapers out there, it’s unbelievable.
One guy called me a pink, a jerk in a pink suit, so I thought I’d wear that for him to today.
You know, it’s funny in those articles, my church, I was made fun of cause I go to church, I’m easy to do it that way.
And I was called maudlin for the troops because I honour the troops, this is the kind of (stuff) you’re going to be facing Rob with these left-wing pinkos. They scrape the bottom of the barrel.
But again, I was asked, why I was asked and I asked Doug (Councillor Ford) why? And he said, we need a famous, good-looking guy and I said, ‘I’m your man, right off the bat.’ I was asked why a landslide. I was in their corner right from the start.
They phoned me, Doug phoned me in the morning, you’ll get a landslide and why, because Rob’s honest, he’s truthful, he’s like Julian Fantino — what you see is what you get, he’s no phony.
And I could go on right now about all the millions and thousands of dollars that he’s going to save and everything.
I’d just like to tell a little story that was in the Sun, I think it was in the back pages, just a little thing and Fiona Crean for 18 months has been trying to get something done with City Hall and in the story, I think some of you know the story, there was a little old lady and all of a sudden she got banged on the door and two guys were there and they said we’re cutting your tree down.
You know, this is a little thing but to me is a big thing.
They said, we’re cutting your tree down, and she said well I don’t want it, that’s my favourite tree, a 100-year-old.
No, it’s down, cut it down and then they send her a bill for $5,000 for cutting it down.
And for 18 months her son and Fiona were City Hall, City Hall please help us. Thirty, 40 calls, unbelievable, nothing, laughed at.
Rob’s in the mayor one day, apology comes and a $5,000 cheque. And that is why I say he is going to be the greatest mayor, this city has ever, ever seen as far as I’m concerned and put that in your pipe you left-wing kooks.
Thank you very much.
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/12/07/16464826.html

No comments:

Post a Comment